What keeps us “ALIVE” and our biological machine running?
The simple answer to that question is our “Heart”; From the day, we are born till our last breath, the heart is the gadget that works round the clock. Biologically, it’s the single most pumping organ which beats 101,000 times a day. During your lifetime it will beat about 3 billion times and pump about 800 million pints of blood or about 1 million barrels – that’s enough to fill more than 3 super tankers.
Here are some whooping medical statistics in case you did not know;
- Every day our heart pumps 2000 gallons of blood i.e. approximately 7570.82 litres.
- Approximately, 60% blood is pumped to the brain and the remaining 40% to the rest of body.
- Our system of blood vessels – arteries, veins, and capillaries – is over 60,000 miles long. That’s long enough to go around the world more than twice!
- Our heart generates enough force to pump blood up to 40’ ft high.
We can still afford to take rest for 5 minutes but we will have to rest in peace if our heart ever decides to take rest for the same period of time after doing such an amount of hard work on a daily basis 🙂
How does our heart manage to work so efficiently?
In normal conditions, the heart takes 0.3 Seconds to contract (Systole) & 0.5 Seconds to Relax (Diastole) i.e. = 0.8 Seconds where our heart completes (1 Cardiac Cycle). This is the discipline our heart has to follow for normal functioning. This means in a minute 72 heart beats hold true as an example, which is considered normal heart beat.
The oxygenation of our blood happens during Diastole Phase (0.5 secs) where the impure blood travels through our lungs and becomes 100% oxygenated. When situations become stressful for our body, the overall oxygenation requirement of our blood spikes up and our heart has to speed up its beat i.e. Cardiac Cycle, as the body demands more oxygenated blood in less time, our heart cuts down its diastolic time from 0.5 secs to 0.4 secs.
Higher the heartbeat rate, lesser is the amount of blood that gets oxygenated leading our body to experience fatigue.
As the percentage of impure blood flowing into the system increases cholesterols and lipids does not get completely filtered out and starts depositing on the walls of arteries & veins which slowly takes away the elastic capability of our arteries & veins. If a fat clot or blood clot then travels through the veins or arteries which in a normal condition gets filtered due to the elastic nature of veins or arteries, now starts causing blockages which further results in “Heart Attack”. The majority of our heart problems is caused as the result of increased demand for blood supply to our brain and other body parts.
Let’s now figure out how Meditation i.e. training your Brain helps ?
As the activity of brain surges i.e. wants to develop mindfulness, concentration, higher knowledge, tranquility, and insights, here are the stimulants for our brain;
- Our daily food diet is responsible for 30 – 35% of the brain stimulation, where switching to vegetarian is recommended as it less excites your body.
- Our actions like aggressive thinking, aggressive emotions, aggressive attitude, aggressive memories etc. stimulates the remaining 65 – 70% of our brain.
Meditation does the following for you;
- Meditation is the recharging mechanism for the electrical impulses within the cells in our body.
- It brings down the activity of your brain hence reducing the demands for oxygenated blood supply from the Heart.
- Heart rate slows down ensuring more oxygenated blood is flowing inside your body that now helps you relaxing your muscles and trash the fatigue from your body.
- As your body starts relaxing more it actually helps the cells in our body to get rid of harmful enzymes and hormones much effectivity helping in reducing unpleasant feelings including pain, inflammation, blood pressure and helps to boost our immune system.
Meditation training improves a wide range of willpower skills, including attention, focus, stress management, impulse control, and self-awareness. It changes both the function and structure of the brain to support self-control. For example, regular meditators have more gray matter in the prefrontal cortex. And it doesn’t take a lifetime of practice — brain changes have been observed after eight weeks of brief daily meditation training.
I am a principle follower of Sree Sree Thakur Anukulchandra, Satsang – Deoghar and recently, his great grandson Rev. Babai Da (born Arkadyuti Chakraborty) in one of his speech mentioned: “Savasana or Corpse Pose is something one should practise daily.” This might sound the easiest Asana or Meditation technique but the most difficult to practice, but if practiced correctly can deliver amazing results.